Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Perks of Going Greek


On Monday night, my second night in my new sorority, we were lucky enough to have a registered dietician come and speak to us during dinner. When I heard that a dietician was coming, my first thought was, why? Aren't sororities healthier than the dorms, in general? Well, maybe there's more fresh fruit and vegetables available, but the environment isn't necessarily conducive to healthful eating habits. Honestly, living with eighty to ninety girls can be a very pressurized and competitive environment, but that's not to say that it always is. I feel very lucky to have joined a sorority where everyone is very comfortable (or at least seems to be). The dietician provided us with useful information, but not necessarily anything new or profound. 

I thought it would be interesting to ask girls in my pledge class if the food in the sorority (and having a professional chef) was a factor in their decision to go through recruitment. The answers I got varied, but most girls said it was just another perk of living in the Greek community. And while they definitely enjoy it, it didn't necessarily influence their decision as much as say, living in an actual house rather than a dorm, or the fact that they have many social and philanthropic opportunities while living in a sorority. 

Having lived in the dorms for three weeks before joining a sorority, I can honestly say that I like it much better than living and eating in the dorms. For one thing, there's always fresh fruit around. In the past couple of days I have had apples, oranges, grapes, melon, and nectarines which is more than I had combined in the three weeks of living in the dorms. But there is also a downside to living/eating in a sorority. The fact that I don't have an on-campus dining meal might be a bit of an inconvenience during the school year when I want to grab lunch in between classes. I'm paying to be fed in the sorority, so I don't necessarily want to pay extra for lunch. I suppose I might be able to pack my lunch, but I'd have to figure out if that would be allowed and what's available. 

Having a professional chef cook my meals and having fresh fruit around definitely is more than a perk to me!

No comments: