Saturday, September 13, 2008

To Eat or Not to Eat

Having always been an animal lover, reading the section about meat in the Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan made me feel a little disgusted with myself. However, it wasn't enough to stop me from eating meat all together. As much as I love cows, pigs and chickens, and as bad as I feel about eating them, I just can't give up a juicy burger or a chicken kabob when presented with the opportunity. The section about the sow and piglets pulled at my heartstrings, but it didn't stop me from eating bacon while making collard greens in class. I have thought about becoming a vegetarian many times before but I've never been able to really buckle-down and stick with it. I think to completely stop eating meat I need to be truly disgusted, and I don't know that I want that to actually happen. 

Pollan does mention that if you want to become a vegetarian and be completely revolted, you should read Animal Liberation, by Peter Singer, which I might add to my reading list if I decide to become a vegetarian or vegan in the future. 

I'm also a tad nauseated by facts I've learned about milk, although Pollan doesn't go into great detail, I've heard enough to put me almost completely off dairy (even if I wasn't already on a dairy-free diet!). The facts about milk machines, the poor cows, and the bodily fluids that end up in the final gallon of milk truly sicken me. 

All in all, I'm disgusted by the facts presented to me and disgusted with myself for completely overlooking them when I'm presented with a cheeseburger and fries. 

No comments: